The Ministry of Housing and Energy was conceived and established in August 2007, carved out of the then Ministry of Works and Housing now Ministry of Works. The Ministry’s headquarters is located within the Borno State Housing Corporation Building, at State Low-cost Housing Estate, Abbaganaram Area, Maiduguri.
The ministry of housing and energy is mandated to:
- The building of housing estates within the state.
- Process Deeds of Assignment in respect of government quarters sold to the beneficiaries on an owner-occupier basis.
- Maintain all government estate and other related structures in the state.
- Install and maintain solar light in rural areas in the state.
- Provide electricity in the urban and semi-urban areas in the state.
- Maintain electricity facilities in the state.
The main objectives behind establishing the Ministry are as follows;
- To conceive, design, and construct housing estates for the low-income earners in the state.
- To be responsible for maintaining all government estates and other related structures.
- To conceive, design, and install solar light within the state.
- To conceive, design, and installation of electricity in urban and semi-urban towns in the state.
- To build and maintain shopping complexes in the state.
- To be responsible for the construction of new markets in the urban and semi-urban towns in the state.